counter statistics

Chinatown
Year 2009

Singapore's Chinatown evolved around 1821 when the first Chinese junk arrived from Xiamen, Fujian province in China. The passengers, all men, set up home around the south of the Singapore River which is known today as Telok Ayer. Chinatown’s local name - Niu Che Shui (Bullock Cart Water) arose from the fact each household at that time had to collect fresh water from the wells in Ann Siang Hill and Spring Street, using bullock-drawn carts.

See Related VRs

Back to previous page

Go to main map

 

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player